Pan-Asian Chicken Escabeche
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- 6-- chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 1tablespoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1teaspoon salt, divided
- 1teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1-- red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1-- yellow bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1-- jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 2-- (5 ounces each) can water chestnuts
- 1-- carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1-- English cucumber, skin on and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2-- radishes, halved
- 1-- red onion, quartered
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 1/4cup lime juice
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2tablespoons parsley, chopped
- In large plastic zipper bag, combine Chinese five spice powder, 1 tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken thighs to bag, seal well and turn to coat. Marinate chicken in refrigerator for one hour, or up to overnight.
- While chicken is marinating, place red pepper pieces, yellow pepper pieces, jalapeno pepper pieces, water chestnuts, carrot, cucumber, radishes and red onion in bowl of food processor. Rough chop by pulsing the blade. If food processor is not available, vegetables may be julienned by hand.
- Place chopped vegetables in large bowl. Add garlic, lime juice, ¼ cup olive oil, remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper. Place bowl in refrigerator and allow to sit for one hour or up to overnight.
- Prepare gas or charcoal grill. Place chicken on grill and cook, turning, until done throughout, about 6 minutes per side. Cool and shred meat coarsely.
- Add chicken to vegetable salad mixture. Add cilantro and parsley; stir well to combine.
From the Illinois Institute of Art Cooking School, Chicago.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 410
- Glycemic Load .49
- Fat 26g
- Saturated Fat 5g
- Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat 16g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 670mg
- Potassium 690mg
- Carbohydrate 24g
- Fiber 4g
- Sugars 7g
- Protein 23g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Vitamin A 80%
- Vitamin C 240%
- Calcium 8%
- Iron 20%