- 2 to 2 1/2cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1cup basmati or brown rice
- 1tablespoon pure olive oil
- 1medium red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1cup sliced celery
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1large head broccoli cut into florets (2 cups)
- 1/2medium red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2medium green bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1large tomato, diced (1 cup)
- 1cup frozen peas
- 1teaspoon turmeric*
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 2tablespoons capers, for garnish
- 12 black olives, sliced, for garnish
- Place 2 to 2 1/2 cups water (check instructions on rice package) and turmeric in a saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice, stir and cover tightly. Reduce heat to very low and simmer about 45 minutes. Don’t peek! You do not want to allow any steam to escape or your rice won’t be fluffy (rice can be made ahead).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, broccoli, peppers and garlic. Saute until onions exude liquid and vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and peas; cook until heated through.
- Add cooked rice and about 2 tablespoons water to prevent sticking. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender and rice is heated through. Season with cayenne and salt. Serve onto individual serving plates and garnish with capers and olives.
*Although it will cost you more, you can substitute saffron for the turmeric.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 225
- Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 433mg
- Carbohydrate 40g
- Protein 6g