- Yield 6 servings
A meatless version of the classic Spanish dish.
- 2 to 2 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup basmati or brown rice
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced (1 cup)
- 1 large head broccoli cut into florets (2 cups)
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon turmeric*
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons capers, for garnish
- 12 black olives, sliced, for garnish
- Place 2 to 2 1/2 cups water (check instructions on rice package) and turmeric in a saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Add rice, stir and cover tightly. Reduce heat to very low and simmer about 45 minutes. Don’t peek! You do not want to allow any steam to escape or your rice won’t be fluffy (rice can be made ahead).
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, broccoli, peppers and garlic. Saute until onions exude liquid and vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and peas; cook until heated through.
- Add cooked rice and about 2 tablespoons water to prevent sticking. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender and rice is heated through. Season with cayenne and salt. Serve onto individual serving plates and garnish with capers and olives.