- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 5 mins
- Cook 20 mins
Oysters make an easy stew seem super-luxurious.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 containers (8-ounce) freshly shucked oysters, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add celery and shallots; cook until shallots are tender.
- Add milk and half-and-half; stir well. When mixture is almost boiling, add oysters and their liquid. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir constantly until oysters curl at their edges. When oysters curl, the stew is done; turn off the heat and serve with oyster crackers.