Oyster Artichoke Soup
- Yield 6 servings
A simple, seductive soup with fresh oysters and canned artichoke hearts.
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (14-ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 pint oysters, reserving 1/2 cup oyster liquid
- dash cayenne
- Heat olive oil and sauté green onions and garlic for 5 minutes in a nonstick pan. Add flour, making sure to stir constantly, add chicken broth and reserved oyster liquid. Season with cayenne, thyme and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat, and cook about 15 minutes.
- Add oysters, artichokes and parsley. Cook 10 minutes, or when oysters begin to curl at the edges.
- Stir in half-and-half and sherry, and heat through.
- Remove bay leaf before serving.