Overnight Oven-Baked French Toast
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This french toast is perfect to prepare ahead of time when you are expecting overnight guests to stay for breakfast.
- 1 -- (16-ounce) loaf French bread
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 -- eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut the bread into ten slices 3/4-inch thick. Spread the butter evenly over one side of each bread slice. Arrange buttered side up in an ungreased 9×12-inch dish. Whisk the eggs, milk, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and salt in a bowl. Pour over the bread, pressing the slices down. Chill, covered, for 8 hours. Remove the bread slices from the dish and place on two lightly greased baking sheets. Bake, uncovered, at 350F for 45 mintues or until golden brown.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Betty Sim’s Southern Scrumptious Favorites(Scrumptious Inc., Decatur, Alabama, 2011).