Overnight Coffee Cake
- Yield 10 servings
Make this apple coffeecake the night before and bake it just before serving.
This coffee cake is best served warm. Try drizzling it with a thin powdered-sugar frosting before serving.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped black walnuts or pecans
- Mix flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl, cream granulated sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar and butter. Mix in eggs, buttermilk and flour mixture. Fold in apples. Pour into a 13 x 9-inch greased baking pan.
- For topping, combine remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, walnuts, and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle over batter. Cover with foil and put in refrigerator until next morning. Uncover and let stand about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake 45 minutes.
– Recipe by Sylvia Goeser, Westphalia, Iowa