Oven Rice Pudding
- Yield servings
- 1 cup sweet brown rice or short grain brown rice
- 1 tablespoon natural yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 3 cups oat milk or rice milk
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Put the rice and yogurt in a deep baking dish and cover generously with warm water. Leave to soak, covered, for 7 hours or overnight at room temperature.
2. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Drain and rinse the rice, then return to the baking dish. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs together with a whisk. Add the eggs, sugar, oat milk, raisins, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt to the baking dish and whisk until the sugar has dissolved and the cinnamon and nutmeg have dispersed.
3. Bake for 30 minutes until a brown skin has formed on top of the pudding. Stir in the skin and bake for a further 15 minutes. Stir again and bake for another 1 hour 15 minutes until the rice is completely soft and the top has browned. Serve hot or cold.
SWEET RICE BAKE PURÉE
Put 2 tablespoons of the soaked rice and 8 tablespoons of the oat milk in a small baking dish and mix. Bake as above for 1 hour 15 minutes until the rice is completely soft. Transfer to a blender and add 2 tablespoons water. Blend for 30 seconds, adding extra water 1 teaspoon at a time, until smooth. Serve warm.
SWEET RICE & RAISIN PUDDING
Put 2 tablespoons of the soaked rice, 8 tablespoons of the oat milk and 1 teaspoon of the raisins in a small baking dish and mix. Bake as above for 1 hour 15 minutes until the rice is completely soft. Transfer to a blender and add 2 tablespoons water. Pulse for 15 seconds, adding extra water 1 teaspoon at a time, until the mixture forms a lumpy purée. Serve warm.
Reprinted with permission from Me, You & the Kids, Too by Renee Elliott, Duncan Baird Publishing