Oven-Fried Catfish with Succotash
- Yield: 6 servings
- 4cups panko bread crumbs
- Finely grated zest from two lemons, about 2 teaspoons
- 2-1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2teaspoons lemon zest
- 1tablespoon plus 1-1/2 t freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch crushed red pepper, optional
- 4-6 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2pounds skinless catfish fillets
- Emeril's Original Essence
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Lemon wedges for serving, optional
- Succotash for serving, recipe follows
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the breadcrumbs on a large rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring once midway through cooking, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside until pan is cool enough to handle. Toss the crumbs with the lemon zest and 1 teaspoon of the salt.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Line two large baking sheets with aluminum foil. Position an ovenproof wire rack over the foil and lightly grease the rack with cooking spray or olive oil.
- Combine the remaining 1½ teaspoons of salt, the pepper, the lemon zest, the lemon juice, and crushed red pepper, and the egg whites in a shallow container large enough to hold a fillet.
- Season the fillets with Essence on both sides and press both sides of the fillets in the breadcrumbs. Dip both sides of the fillets in the egg whites and dredge a final time in the breadcrumbs. Transfer the coated fillets to the wire rack. Lightly drizzle olive oil over the fillets and bake in the oven until the fish is cooked through, 15 minutes and up to 20 minutes for thicker fillets. Remove the catfish from the oven and serve immediately with lemon wedges and the succotash.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, copyright MSLO, Inc., all rights reserved