O'Shea's Famous Clam Chowder
- Yield: 6 servings
- 5slices bacon, diced
- 2stalks celery, chopped
- 1medium onion, diced
- 2tablespoons flour
- 1tablespoon butter
- 1can (6.5 ounce) clams
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle of clam juice
- 4medium potatoes, boiled and diced
- 1 to 2dash salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4teaspoon thyme
- 3/4pint half-and-half
- Cook bacon in a large pot; then cook celery and onion in bacon fat until softened, drain bacon fat.
- Mix flour and butter with a whisk in a small saucepan to make a roux (like a paste), cook for 5 minutes.
- Add roux, clams, clam juice, potatoes, salt, pepper and thyme to bacon, celery and onion. Let cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat.
- Warm half-and-half first, then add to pot. If mixture starts to separate, add a little more half-and-half at the last minute.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Julie Hoffman, College Cooking with Julie (Julie Hoffman, 2009)