- Yield 6 to 8 servings
In this dish orzo, the rice-shaped pasta, takes on the flavors of paella.
- 8 ounces low-fat smoked sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch thick chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) package orzo pasta
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen green peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- In a large pan coated with nonstick cooking spray, cook sausage over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Add chicken and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until chicken is lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Add onion, green pepper and garlic. Saute, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Add shrimp, tomato sauce, red pepper and tomato and cook 5 to 10 minutes, until shrimp are done and chicken is tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions, omitting any oil and salt. Drain and add to chicken mixture, tossing well. Stir in peas and green onions and continue cooking until well heated, about 5 minutes.