Orecchiette with Broccoli Rabe and Lemon
- Yield 3 servings
Broccoli rabe, also called rappini in Italy, is a cousin of broccoli. It has a pleasant bitter flavor. You can use broccoli as an alternative in this recipe.
- 1 pound orecchiette
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -- yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red chili flakes
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, heavy stems removed and discarded, heads chopped
- -- Water, as needed
- -- Juice of 1 lemon
- -- Salt, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a nonreactive large saute pan or skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onions; saute 3 minutes until slightly softened. Add chili flakes and broccoli rabe. Continue to saute, adding drops of water to prevent sticking if necessary. Add cooked pasta. Combine well and add lemon juice and salt. Serve immediately.