Orecchiette Pasta with Yellow Tomatoes, Asparagus and Wisconsin Italian Cheeses
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1/2pound asparagus, tough ends discarded
- 2 shallots, diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- 2tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2large (about 1 1/2 pounds) ripe yellow tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2cup crispy, dry white wine
- 1/2cup chicken stock
- 1/2cup basil, in thin
- 1/2pound orecchiette (little ears) pasta, cooked al dente
- 1/3cup Wisconsin Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1/4cup Wisconsin Provolone or Asiago Cheese, shredded
- Cover asparagus with boiling water. Cover and let sit 3 minutes. Drain. Grill on lightly oiled griddle or skillet over high heat until asparagus is al dente and somewhat browned. Set aside. When cool, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces.
- Sauté shallots and garlic in olive oil until translucent. Add tomatoes and sauté until they are soft and give up juices. Add wine and chicken stock. Boil over high heat until reduced by about a fourth. Add asparagus pieces and basil; mix. Add freshly cooked pasta and stir to coat. Add cheeses and toss to melt. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board