Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
- Yield 3 to 4 servings
A traditional Italian meal with pasta and broccoli rabe.
Packaged dried orecchiette pasta can be found in Italian markets and many supermarkets. Look for an authentic Italian brand with uneven surfaces. Broccoli rabe is naturally a bit bitter. Blanching the rabe in water removes some of the sharp flavor.
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- -- Water
- -- Salt
- 2 -- (1/2-pound) bunches broccoli rabe, chopped, heavy stems removed
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- Cook the pasta according to directions in plenty of boiling water to cover with a pinch salt (usually 1 pound pasta is boiled in 4 quarts salted water for 11 to 12 minutes until al dente).
- Drain the pasta reserving the cooking water and returning the water to the pot. Return to a boil. Add the rabe and cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to cool and drain again.
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add the garlic. As soon as the garlic begins to brown, add the broccoli rabe and the chili flakes. Saute 3 minutes and add the cooked pasta, combining well. Stir together and season with salt.