Orecchiette Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
- Yield: 3 to 4 servings
Packaged dried orecchiette pasta can be found in Italian markets and many supermarkets. Look for an authentic Italian brand with uneven surfaces. Broccoli rabe is naturally a bit bitter. Blanching the rabe in water removes some of the sharp flavor.
- 1pound orecchiette pasta
- 2 (1/2-pound) bunches broccoli rabe, chopped, heavy stems removed
- 1/2cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2teaspoon crushed dried red pepper flakes
- Cook the pasta according to directions in plenty of boiling water to cover with a pinch salt (usually 1 pound pasta is boiled in 4 quarts salted water for 11 to 12 minutes until al dente).
- Drain the pasta reserving the cooking water and returning the water to the pot. Return to a boil. Add the rabe and cook 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to cool and drain again.
- Heat the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add the garlic. As soon as the garlic begins to brown, add the broccoli rabe and the chili flakes. Saute 3 minutes and add the cooked pasta, combining well. Stir together and season with salt.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 581
- Fat 17g
- Saturated Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 16mg
- Carbohydrate 89g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 18g