Orange-Walnut Chicken Salad with Fennel and Maytag Blue Cheese
- Yield 4 servings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup walnut halves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- 1 cup panko
- 2/3 cup finely ground walnuts
- 4 -- boneless skinless chicken breast halves, 6 ounces each
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- -- Olive oil spray
- 3 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 12 ounces bagged mixed lettuce
- 1 medium fennel bulb, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup supremed orange segments
- 3/4 cup crumbled Maytag blue cheese
- -- Fennel fronds and orange slices, for garnish
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the walnuts halves; stir and cook for 3 to 6 minutes or until nuts are lightly browned. Sprinkle with cinnamon, remove from pan and cool completely.
Place the flour in a shallow dish. Place eggs in another shallow dish. In a third shallow dish combine the orange zest, the panko, and walnuts. Sprinkle chicken with salt. Dredge chicken in the flour, shaking off excess. Dip chicken in the eggs and coat with the panko mixture, pressing so nuts and crumbs adhere. Spray a baking dish with olive oil spray. Place chicken in the dish and evenly spray the tops with the olive oil spray. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
To make the dressing, place the orange juice concentrate, lemon juice, honey and orange zest in a blender and process until combined. With motor running gradually add the canola oil. Stir in the fennel seeds and set aside.
Combine the lettuce, fennel, onion, orange segments, blue cheese and some of the dressing. Arrange on a platter. Slice the cooked chicken breasts and arrange on top. Sprinkle with the toasted walnut halves. Garnish with fennel fronds and orange slices. Serve remaining dressing on the side.
Makes 4 servings