Orange Slice and Raisin Cake
- Yield: 12 to 14 servings
- 3 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup golden raisins or chopped dates
- 1 (10-ounce) package orange slices candy, chopped
- 2cups pecans, chopped
- 1cup butter, softened
- 2cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2cup buttermilk
- 1cup shredded coconut
- 1cup orange juice or pineapple juice
- 2cups confectioners' sugar
- Combine the flour, raisins, candy and pecans in a bowl and toss to coat.
- Beat the butter and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix the baking soda and buttermilk in a small bowl; beat into the egg mixture. Stir in the flour mixture and coconut. Spoon into a greased and floured 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 250F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Mix the orange juice and confectioners’ sugar in a bowl until smooth and pour evenly over the hot cake. Let stand overnight before serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Five Forks: Irresistibly Delicious Dishes (Kerr Vance Academy, Henderson, N.C., 2010).