Orange-Pecan Cornmeal Muffins
- Yield 1
- 3 tablespoons Real California butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Heat oven to 400°F. Line 12 (2-1/2-inch) diameter muffin cups with paper liners.
- With electric beaters, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg white and orange peel. Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat in flour mixture alternately with orange juice, ending with flour mixture. Divide batter among muffin cups. Sprinkle nuts on top. Bake 14 to 16 minutes, until tops brown lightly and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove muffins from pan; cool on racks.
Recipe courtesy of the California Milk Advisory Board