Orange Hoisin Spiced Chicken Wings
- Yield: 4 servings
- 3pounds chicken wings (about 12-14), room temperature
- Spice Mix
- 2tablespoons five spice powder
- 1/2teaspoon ground ginger
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Orange Hoisin Sauce
- 1-- 8 ounce bottle hoisin sauce
- 1/2cup orange juice concentrate
- 1teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/4teaspoon chili powder
- 2teaspoons orange zest
- 3tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3cups canola oil, for frying
- In a gallon-size plastic bag with zip top closure, combine all ingredients for spice mix. Seal and shake well to blend.
- Make Orange Hoisin Sauce by combining in small saucepan over medium-high heat hoisin sauce, orange juice concentrate, sesame seed oil, rice vinegar and chili powder. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for five minute. Remove from heat; stir in zest and cilantro. Cover and set aside.
- In a deep saucepan or stockpot, add oil and heat to 350F. While oil is heating, add chicken wings to plastic bag with spice mixture. Shake until all wings are coated. Remove wings from bag, place in pot and fry, in batches, for 6 – 8 minutes, or until skin is crispy.
- Remove wings from oil and place on paper towels to drain. After final batch of wings is cooked, place wings in large mixing bowl. Pour Orange Hoisin Sauce over wings; toss well to coat.