- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 55 mins
Here, water-packed tofu is roasted and basted with a bath of sweet-salty-savory flavors.
- Cooking oil spray
- 2 (14-ounce) tubs extra-firm tofu
- 1large navel orange, zest and sections
- 3tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/3cup white or light miso
- 1/2cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2cup orange juice
- 1/2cup mirin (sweet Japanese rice wine) or sweet sherry
- 2cloves garlic
- 3tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- Cayenne or hot pepper sauce
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F. Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with cooking oil.
- Drain tofu. Cut each block of tofu in 4 slabs, each about the size and shape of a deck of cards. Place tofu in prepared pan.
- Grate rind from orange, then remove and discard the white fibrous portion just under the rind. Halve the orange, pick out seeds and place fruit and rind in the processor with all remaining ingredients. Process until smooth. Pour over tofu in baking dish.
- Bake 35 minutes. Remove pan, and, using tongs, turn over tofu pieces, then spoon a bit of sauce onto each. Bake about 20 minutes longer or until tofu is golden brown and there is very little glaze left. Let cool slightly, then stir browned bits around the pan edges into remaining glaze. Serve, dividing remaining glaze among the servings.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 370
- Fat 19g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1160mg
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Fiber 4g
- Protein 27g