Orange Ginger Tempeh and Brown Rice Salad with Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Yield 4 cups
Served as a side salad or main entree, this rice-and-vegetable medley is as versatile as it is delicious.
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided into multiple uses
- 3/4 cup tempeh, diced in small cubes
- 1 1/2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups diced vegetable medley (red cabbage, green cabbage, broccoli, carrots, radishes, jicama, green bell peppers, celery)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Generous sprinkling of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 orange, halved
- To a large non-stick skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, add the tempeh and sear it over medium-high heat, flipping as needed. Searing will take about 2 minutes. Add tempeh to a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- To the skillet (you don’t have to wash it), add 1 tablespoon olive oil and over medium-high heat warm the rice, stirring as needed. Warming will take about 2 minutes. Add the rice to the mixing bowl with the tempeh and set aside.
- To the skillet (you don’t have to wash it), add 2 tablespoons olive oil, add the vegetables, and sprinkle with ginger, cumin, salt and pepper, optional seasonings. Stir to evenly coat the vegetables. Cook over medium to medium high, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until softened but not mushy. Add the cooked vegetables to the mixing bowl with the rice and tempeh.
- Slice half the orange into bite-sized pieces and add to the mixing bowl.
- Pour Averie Cook’s Orange Balsamic Vinaigrette over everything that’s in the bowl and toss.