Orange Ginger Pound Cake
- Yield 10 servings
Made with yogurt and olive oil in lieu of butter, this fragrant pound cake is on the light side.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon finely minced, peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon minced orange rind
- 1/3 cup mild olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8 1/2 by 4 1/4-inch loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, vanilla, ginger, orange rind and oil. Slowly stir in flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake about 50 minutes, until a cake tester placed in the center of loaf comes out clean.
- Place 1/4 cup fresh orange juice and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan. Heat until sugar dissolves.
- When cake is done, let cool in pan 10 minutes. Place cake on a wire rack over a sheet pan. While cake is warm, poke holes in top, pour orange mixture over cake, allowing to soak in.
- Combine powdered sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice, stirring until smooth. When cake is cool, drizzle glaze over top of cake.