Orange-Filled French Toast
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 25 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- French Toast:
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 -- center slices (1-inch thick) King's Hawaiian Bread
- 2 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- -- Butter or vegetable oil for frying
- -- Maple syrup, warmed (optional)
- 2 -- (3 oz.) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated orange rind
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
Preparation for French Toast
- Whisk together first 5 ingredients. Pour into 8-inch square dish. Set aside.
- To form a pocket in each slice of bread, use a sharp paring knife to cut through the center of the bottom crust lengthwise.
- Gently open pocket and fill with half of the filling. Press cut edge together. Repeat with other slice.
- Heat griddle over medium heat. Grease with butter or oil.
- Carefully dip each side of filled bread in the egg mixture using a spatula to help turn.
- Cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Cut each piece of French Toast in half.
- Top with fresh sliced strawberries and if desired, serve with maple syrup.
Preparation for Filling
- Place ingredients in a small bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Set aside.