Orange Date Loaf
- Yield 8 to 10 servings
This citrusy date loaf makes a great snack bread.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water, hot
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 1 -- orange, seeded and sectioned
- 1 -- egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nuts
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine water and dates in a blender, cover and press low, as soon as full speed is reached, press high, blend for 5 seconds. Continue blending and add orange, egg, butter, sugar and nuts. Turn off when nuts are chopped. Pour mixture over the dry ingredients, mix just to moisten.
- Bake in a greased 9×5-inch loaf pan at 350F for 50 to 60 minutes.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Johnson City’s Treasures of the Smokies(Johnson City, Tn., 1986),