- Yield 5 1/2 dozen
You will find lots of tasty orange goodness in these cookies.
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 -- eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Cream 1/2 cup shortening, sugar and eggs in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add 1 tablespoon grated orange rind and 1/2 cup orange juice; mix well. Stir in sifted mixture of flour, baking powder and salt. Add pecans; mix well. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 3 inches apart onto cookie sheet. Bake at 375F for 12 to 15 mintues or until brown. Remove to wire rack. Combine 2 tablespoons shortening, confectioners' sugar and 1 teaspoon grated orange rind in bowl; mix well. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons orange juice, stirring until of spreading consistency. Frost warm cookies with icing.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Telephone Pioneers of America’s Calling all Cook, Three (the Telephone Pioneers of America, Alabama Chapter #34, Birmingham, Al., 1994).