- Yield: 3
- 1cup flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2/3cup sugar
- 3ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2teaspoon grated orange zest, or 1/4 teaspoon orange oil
- 3 3/4cups (about 12 ounces) shredded coconut
- 2cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- Cream the sugar, cream cheese and butter with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, vanilla, almond extract and orange zest.
- Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups of the coconut and 1 cup of the chocolate chips.
- Place the ramining 1 1/4 cups coconut in a bowl. Drop walnut-sized pieces of the dough into the coconut and roll to coat.
- Place on a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment or waxed paper.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 40 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler. Drizzle over the macaroons with the tines of a fork. Let stand until the chocolate is set.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Boston, Boston Uncommon, a Culinary Journey Through Boston’s Distinctive Neighborhoods (The Junior League of Boston, 2007)