Orange-Bran Nut Bread
- Yield 12 servings
This bread makes a tasty breakfast or snack.
- 1 cup dried figs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -- egg, beaten
- 4 teaspoons orange peel, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4 cup whole-bran cereal
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350F. In large bowl of electric mixer, pour 3/4 cup boiling water over figs and butter; let stand 10 minutes. Sift together flours, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add vanilla, ingredients and cereal; beat well; fold in chopped nuts.
- Pour batter into greased 8 1/2×4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan; spread batter into corners. Bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 45 to 50 minutes. Leave in pan 10 minutes; loosen sides with knife; turn onto wire rack to cool. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap; store in cool place or freeze. Let stand overnight before slicing, or bread will crumble.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Tampa, Inc.’s Tampa Treasures (Tampa, Fl., 1992).