Orange and Black Olive Salad
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1/4cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 2 (1 x 3-inch) strips orange zest, sliced lengthwise in thin julienne
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1cup pitted kalamata or canned black olives
- 6 to 8large small navel oranges
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine olive oil, garlic, orange rind and thyme in a small bowl. Add olives, toss gently to combine, and set aside, covered, overnight.
- Cut the peel and pith from oranges, and slice into 1/4-inch rounds. Arrange slices on a serving platter, and spoon olives and dressing over the top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
—Recipe by Laraine Perri for Relish, Oct. 2011.