- Yield 20 pieces
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- 1 large onion, or more if needed to make 1 cup puree
- 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 -- extra large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped coarse
- 1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Preheat the oven to 425F and spray muffin tins with non-stick spray.
Peel onion, cut in quarters and puree fine in food processor. Measure puree and increase or decrease the amount to make 1 cup.
Beat together butter, eggs and sugar and add pureed onions. Stir in remaining ingredients in the order given and mix batter thoroughly.
Fill muffin tins almost full. Bake muffins 20 minutes or until they are puffed and well browned.
Excerpted from The Hudson Valley Cookbook by Chef/Co-Owner Waldy Malouf of Beacon Restaurant in New York City