- Yield 8 servings
This soup is full-flavored without being heavy.
- 1 tablespoon light stick margarine
- 3 large onions (about 2 pounds), halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef broth
- 1 (10-ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Cognac (optional)
- 8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices of French bread, toasted
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the onions and cook 20 minutes, or until golden, stirring frequently. Add the sugar and stir well. Add the flour, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add the water, beef broth and beef consomme. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat, and simmer 30 minutes. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and Cognac, if desired.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Place 8 ovenproof soup bowls on a baking sheet and fill with soup. Top each with a slice of French bread. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the bread. Broil several minutes, or until the cheese melts. Serve immediately. Makes 8 cups.