One-Pot Noodle Stroganoff
- Yield 6 servings
"This is a recipe I have used for many years. I have modified it to lower the fat content by substituting mushrooms for ground beef and no-fat sour cream for regular, and adding spinach, carrots, and dill."
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 quart low-salt tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 6 ounces whole wheat noodles, uncooked
- 1 cup low-fat, or no-fat, sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dried, or 3 teaspoons fresh, dill weed
- 3/8 teaspoon Pepper to taste
- Saute mushrooms and onions in olive oil until just browned.
- Stir in tomato juice, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a low boil.
- Add noodles. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until noodles are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and heat through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: For variety, toss in 6 to 8 ounces of baby spinach, 1 cup of shoestring carrots, or 1/2 cup of diced sweet peppers or fresh asparagus. Garnish with fresh sliced tomatoes, chopped parsley and fresh dill.
Recipe by Mary Ellen Baker, Keuka Park, N.Y.