Olive-Oil Orange Cake with Poached Figs
- Yield 9 servings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 -- eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- -- Finely grated rind of 1 orange
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dried figs (about 12 figs)
- 1/4 cup orange liqueur OR 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350F and oil an 8-inch square pan.
- To prepare the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine sugar and eggs. Beat with an electric mixer a medium-high speed until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in orange juice and rind. Reduce speed to low, and add olive oil in a slow stream.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until combined. Pour into prepared pan. Bake about 35 minutes, until golden and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- To prepare figs, combine all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until the liquid is syrupy, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve warm over cake.
Recipe by Tamar Haspel.