Old-Time Fruit Salad
- Yield 8 servings
Red and golden apples, red and green grapes, pineapple bits, and lemon juice make up this sweet salad recipe
"I first tasted this recipe at a card party. I was told it is a very old recipe. I have served it often and have passed it along to many friends and family."
- 3 beaten eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3 Red Delicious apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1 bunch seedless green grapes
- 1 bunch seedless red grapes
- 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups mini-marshmallows
- Combine eggs, sugar, and butter in saucepan; stir in lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. It will thicken quickly.
- Refrigerate until cool.
- In a large serving bowl, place fruit, nuts, and marshmallows. Pour dressing over mixture, and mix well.
Tips From Our Test Kitchen: To retain the natural color of the apples, toss a little lemon juice in the bowl of apples and mix well before adding other ingredients.
—Dora Lechman, Derry, Pa.