Old Stand-By Potato Salad
- Yield: 12 servings
- 6medium size baking potatoes, diced
- 2teaspoons salt
- 3-- celery stalks, diced
- 3large sweet pickles, diced
- 6-- fresh green onions, diced
- 6-- black or stuffed green olives, sliced
- -- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6-- hard-boiled eggs
- 1cup real mayonnaise
- Peel and chop the potato into approximately 16 pieces. Place cut potatoes in bowl of cold water for 15 minutes to allow potatoes to absorb any possible water loss. Drain potatoes and place in Dutch oven or other large pot. Add salt and enough water to cover the potatoes by 3 inches. Bring salted water to a boil and allow potatoes to cook just until potatoes are firm but have no raw taste. When potatoes are done, drain and allow to cool. While potatoes are cooling, mix celery, pickles, onions and olives in small bowl with small amount of pickle juice to marinate. When potatoes are cool, add salt and pepper to taste and pickle mixture to potatoes. Mix by gently lifting salad so the potatoes will not wear off their edges. Reserving 3 egg yolks, chop remaining eggs and stir mayonnaise into potato mixture until each potato piece is lightly covered. Press reserved yolks through sieve and use to sprinkle over potato salad. Can garnish with extra sliced olives.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Café Oklahoma’s Casual Recipes for the Casual Sooner Lifestyle, Bon Appetit Y’all (Café Oklahoma, Midwest City, Oklahoma, 2006).