- Yield 16 servings
"This recipe was my mother's favorite. I have baked dozens and dozens for family, friends, as gifts, and for fund-raisers in my church. When members of the congregation know that I will have the next fellowship Sunday, they know my teacakes will head the list of goodies."
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla unsalted butter or margarine (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add beaten eggs. Beat well.
- Combine and sift flour, soda, and baking powder. Fold into batter. Add vanilla.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes. Roll out dough on floured (combine 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 cup flour) board to your desired thickness, cut out, and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until done.
- As soon as cakes are removed from oven, immediately brush with unsalted butter, and cool. If spices are preferred, omit vanilla and add 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg to dry ingredients.
Mary Joyce Fontenot, Liberty, Texas