Old-Fashioned Raspberry Tart
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 30 mins
- Cook 25 mins
Here's a beautiful tart to showcase the jewels of summer—raspberries.
For cooks who like to work ahead, this is the perfect recipe. The crust can be prepared in advance and baked the day it's served. The pastry cream can also be made ahead. A few hours before serving, fill the pastry with the cream and top with fruit.
- Sweet Pastry Dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Pastry Cream:
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 pints raspberries, blueberries or strawberries or a combination of fruit
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- To prepare the pastry dough, place flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse to combine. Add egg and water; pulse until dough forms a ball. Shape into a disc; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate several hours to overnight. (Refrigeration makes dough easier to roll, but is not necessary.)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. On lightly floured surface, knead dough lightly to soften. Roll into a 12-inch circle; press on bottom and sides of a 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom. Prick with fork. Bake 15 minutes or until light golden. Cool on rack.
- To prepare the pastry cream, combine 2 tablespoons sugar and flour in a medium bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, whisking after each addition. Combine milk and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over low heat. Whisk about one-third of the milk into egg mixture. Gradually whisk egg mixture into remaining milk in saucepan. Whisk and cook over low heat until mixture comes to a boil. Boil 20 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla and butter. Pour into a bowl; press plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate until cold.
- Stir pastry cream to lighten; spread in tart shell, cover with berries and sift confectioners’ sugar over top.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Perfect Light Desserts by Nick Malgieri and David Joachim (Morrow, 2006).