Old-Fashioned Hoosier Pie
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 10 mins
- Cook 60 mins
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 -- egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 -- (9-inch) unbaked pie shell
- -- Ground cinnamon or nutmeg, to taste (about 1/4 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Mix sugar, flour and salt. Add heavy cream and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix half-and-half with egg yolks; add to sugar mixture and mix well. Add vanilla and stir gently until creamy; do not beat.
- Pour into pie shell and add a fine sprinkle of nutmeg or cinnamon. Bake about 1 hour, until filling is set.
Recipe by Jeanette Hurt.