Old-Fashioned Beefy Vegetable Stew
- Yield 6 to 8 servings
This traditional stew makes a rich, dark gravy that is wonderful served over rice.
- 2 pounds sirloin tips, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 onion, sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans beef consomme
- 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 (16-ounce) bag baby carrots
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place meat, onion, salt and pepper, consomme and wine in a large, heavy pot.
- Combine flour and breadcrumbs in a bowl and stir into meat mixture thoroughly. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 300F and cook 1 1/2 hours longer, or until meat is tender. Add carrots and peas during last 30 minutes of baking. Serve over cooked rice.