Okra and Chicken Stew
- Yield 8 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 40 mins
A Southern favorite, Okra and Chicken Stew is a hearty concoction seasoned with file powder.
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 -- green onions, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cheopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 1/2 pounds cut okra (can use fresh or frozen)
- 2 -- (14.5-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 3 -- (14-ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds cook chicken chicken (skinned and boned)
- -- Hot sauce, to taste
- -- File powder to taste
- In a large heavy kettle or Dutch oven, make a dark roux by combining oil and flour over low heat. Cook and stir, about 10 to 15 minutes. The roux will darken to a caramel color with continued heating.
- Add onions, peppers, parsley, okra, tomatoes, and broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stirring. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken and hot sauce; stir and simmer.
- Serve over rice, sprinkle with gumbo file.