Oklahoma Barbecue Sauce
- Yield 4 cups
This barbecue sauce will be the topic of conversation at your next cookout.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 -- (8- to 10-ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1 -- (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- Saute the onions and garlic in the butter in a large saucepan until the onions are brown. Stir in the ketchup and tomato sauce.
- Rinse the ketchup bottle and tomato sauce can with the water and add to the onion mixture. Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, prepared mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, salt, red pepper and Tabasco sauce. Simmer covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may substitute lime juice for the lemon juice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Welfare League’s Cooking by the Boot Straps (Junior Welfare League of Enid, Oklahoma, 2002).