Oklahoma Barbecue Sauce
- Yield: 4 cups
- 2medium onions, chopped
- 2-- garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter
- 1-- (8- to 10-ounce) bottle ketchup
- 1-- (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2cup water
- 6tablespoons brown sugar
- 6tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4cup vinegar
- 1tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1teaspoon black pepper
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon red pepper, or to taste
- 1/4teaspoon Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- Saute the onions and garlic in the butter in a large saucepan until the onions are brown. Stir in the ketchup and tomato sauce.
- Rinse the ketchup bottle and tomato sauce can with the water and add to the onion mixture. Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, prepared mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, salt, red pepper and Tabasco sauce. Simmer covered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. You may substitute lime juice for the lemon juice.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior Welfare League’s Cooking by the Boot Straps (Junior Welfare League of Enid, Oklahoma, 2002).