Smoked Chile Chicken with Corn Pudding
- Yield 6 servings
- 6 -- (5 6 ounce each)boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh supersweet corn kernels (may substitute frozen)
- 1/3 cup finely grated cotija cheese
- 1/3 cup butter, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon guajillo chile powder
- 2 teaspoons chipotle pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sweet cornbread mix (about 1/2 of a 6 ounce pkg.)
- 2 tablespoons pasteurized egg product (or 2 tablespoon beaten egg)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels
- 1/2 cup diced roasted peeled poblano chile (or canned green chiles)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
Trim chicken breasts and pound to uniform thickness (trim off any excessively thin pieces) and place in large zipper plastic bag. Add water,kosher salt and sugar; expel excess air, seal, and shake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Chop corn in small bowl food processor until almost pureed. Add cheese, butter, and mint and pulse until mixed well. Place in plastic wrap and roll into a 1-inch round log. Refrigerate.
Blend tomato paste, onion, guajillo powder, chipotle, brown sugar, salt, and vinegar in food processor until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl. Remove chicken from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Add chicken to tomato mixture, stirring to coat. Place on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet under broiler, turning once, for 8 minutes, or until done. Cover with foil and keep hot until ready to serve.
Mix cornbread mix, egg, and milk. Heat oil in heavy skillet to medium-high heat. Drizzle the cornbread batter into the hot skillet, cooking until crisp on one side. Turn cornbread in skillet, breaking into pieces. When very crisp, add corn, green chiles, cumin and cream. Toss gently until heated through.
To serve, place a mound of corn pudding on dish, slice the chicken and arrange on top. Place slices of the butter on the chicken and garnish with mint sprigs.