Smoked Chile Chicken with Corn Pudding
- Yield: 6 servings
- 6-- (5 6 ounce each)boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4cups water
- 1/4cup kosher salt
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1/2cup fresh supersweet corn kernels (may substitute frozen)
- 1/3cup finely grated cotija cheese
- 1/3cup butter, slightly softened
- 2tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/3cup diced onion
- 1tablespoon guajillo chile powder
- 2teaspoons chipotle pepper sauce
- 3tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2cup sweet cornbread mix (about 1/2 of a 6 ounce pkg.)
- 2tablespoons pasteurized egg product (or 2 tablespoon beaten egg)
- 1/4cup milk
- 1/4cup vegetable oil
- 2cups sweet corn kernels
- 1/2cup diced roasted peeled poblano chile (or canned green chiles)
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3cup heavy cream
Trim chicken breasts and pound to uniform thickness (trim off any excessively thin pieces) and place in large zipper plastic bag. Add water,kosher salt and sugar; expel excess air, seal, and shake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Chop corn in small bowl food processor until almost pureed. Add cheese, butter, and mint and pulse until mixed well. Place in plastic wrap and roll into a 1-inch round log. Refrigerate.
Blend tomato paste, onion, guajillo powder, chipotle, brown sugar, salt, and vinegar in food processor until smooth. Transfer to medium bowl. Remove chicken from bag and pat dry with paper towels. Add chicken to tomato mixture, stirring to coat. Place on foil-lined rimmed baking sheet under broiler, turning once, for 8 minutes, or until done. Cover with foil and keep hot until ready to serve.
Mix cornbread mix, egg, and milk. Heat oil in heavy skillet to medium-high heat. Drizzle the cornbread batter into the hot skillet, cooking until crisp on one side. Turn cornbread in skillet, breaking into pieces. When very crisp, add corn, green chiles, cumin and cream. Toss gently until heated through.
To serve, place a mound of corn pudding on dish, slice the chicken and arrange on top. Place slices of the butter on the chicken and garnish with mint sprigs.