Oaxacan Chicken Spring Rolls
- Yield servings
- Cilantro Crema:
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican sour cream (can substitute crème fraiche or sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (or pressed through a garlic press)
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely minced
- Oaxacan Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 ounce achiote paste, crumbled (alternately, it can be left out)
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, grated
- -- Kosher Salt
- -- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup jicama, peeled & julienned
- 1 cup cabbage, julienned
- 1 -- red pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 15 -- round rice paper spring roll wrappers
- -- Cilantro leaves, for garnish
To prepare Cilantro Crema, in a small mixing bowl, combine Mexican sour cream, lime juice, garlic, and cilantro; stir to combine. Refrigerate until serving.
To make Oaxacan Chicken, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, achiote paste, ancho chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and allspice and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occassionally. Add garlic and chocolate and cook for 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and chocolate is melted. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
To make Summer Rolls, in a large mixing bowl combine cooled chicken mixture, jicama, cabbage, red pepper, and almonds; mix well to combine. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Dip a rice paper wrapper in a bowl of warm water for 5-10 seconds and place wrapper on a flat surface (cover other spring roll wrappers with a damp cloth). Place some filling along the bottom 1/3 of the wrapper, fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling, tuck in the sides, and finish rolling into a tight cylinder. Repeat.
Slice rolls on the diagonal. Serve with Cilantro Crema. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Makes about 15 summer rolls