Oatmeal Cake with Penuche Frosting
- Yield 12 servings
"This recipe was my mother's and has become a favorite of our son, Scoot, who is an astronaut. When he visited us recently, I sent this cake home with hime. It rode well in the T-38 plane for his quick trip to Houston."
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolledoats
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup margarine
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cream or milk
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make the cake: Combine oats and water and let stand while mixing the rest of the cake.
- Using an electric mixer, cream margarine and brown sugar in a large bowl. Add eggs and beat well.
- Sift together flour, soda, baking powder, and salt and add to egg mixture. Add vanilla, oats mixture, and nuts, if desired.
- Pour into a greased 9-by-9-inch or 11-by-7-inch pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool and frost with penuche frosting.
- To make the frosting: In a saucepan, melt butter and sugar, stirring constantly over medium heat. Add cream slowly, cooking and stirring until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in powdered sugar until it is the right consistency to spread on cake.
- Decorate with nuts, if desired.
Sharon Altman, Pekin, Ill.