Oatmeal Cake with Crunchy Topping
- Yield 12 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 39 mins
Toss this sweet cake in your lunch bag or enjoy it for breakfast—either way, it's moist and not too sweet.
Serve this cake the same day it’s made to savor the crunchy topping.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1 cup cooked oatmeal
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan or a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare cake, beat butter until fluffy. Add sugar and beat well. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla; beat well. Add flour, cinnamon and salt; beat until just combined. Stir in banana and cooked oatmeal.
- Spread batter in pan. Bake about 35 minutes. Remove cake from oven. Heat broiler.
- To prepare topping, melt butter in saucepan. Add milk and brown sugar; stir until sugar dissolves. Add oats, coconut and walnuts; stir well. Spread over warm cake. Place under broiler and broil until browned and bubbly, about 4 minutes.