Oatmeal Cake with Broiled Coconut Icing
- Yield: 16 servings
"I make about 40 different cookies and cakes for the holidays, and Oatmeal Cake is one of them. It freezes well. I received this recipe in the 1960s."
- 1cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1cup packed light brown sugar
- 1cup granulated sugar
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 to 1teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 3tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2/3cup packed brown sugar
- 3tablespoons milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2cup pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish.
- For the cake, combine 11/2 cups hot water and the oats in a small bowl; set aside to cool. Combine the butter, sugars, eggs, and vanilla; beat with a mixer at medium speed.
- Sift the flour, spices, baking soda, and salt over the sugar mixture. Add the cooled oat mixture; beat well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 35 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Preheat the broiler.
- To prepare the icing, combine all of the ingredients in a medium bowl; stir until well blended. Spread on the hot cake and broil until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Recipe by Barbara Peters, Salem, Ill.