- Yield 12 servings
Bring back flavors from the past with this oatmeal bread.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 (1/4-ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm (100- to 100-degree) water
- 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Stir the oats into the boiling water in a large bowl. Stir in the brown sugar; let stand until cool. Sprinkle yeast over the warm water in a measuring cup. Stir until smooth. Add the shortening. Add to the oats mixture and stir in the flour. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled in bulk.
- Punch down the dough and divide into two portions. Place each portion in a lightly greased 4×8-inch loaf pan. Let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the loaves test done.l Slice and serve or toast. Do not subtitue quick-cooking oats for the old -fashioned rolled oats.
Recipe reprinted with permission from the Junior League of Little Rock’s Big Taste of Little Rock (Junior League of Little Rock, Arkansas 2009).