Nutty Stuffed Mushroom Caps
- Yield 6 servings
- Prep 20 mins
- Cook 20 mins
- 18 large mushroom caps, about 1lb total
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 -- Italian plum tomato, or other small tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped California walnuts
- 2/3 cup fat free mayonnaise
- 1-1/2 cup fresh white bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon OR 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt to taste
- 3/8 teaspoon pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Remove the stems from the mushroom caps, thus leaving an indentation in the underside of each cap to hold the filling later. Chop the stems and set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. When hot, add the whole mushroom caps and cook for about 1 minute on each side, until faintly browned. Place the mushrooms, stem end up on a baking sheet.
- Return the pan to medium heat and add the broth. When it boils, add the mushroom stems and shallots and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 2 – 3 minutes. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and add the tomato, walnuts, mayonnaise, bread crumbs and tarragon. Stir to combine, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mound the walnut mixture among the mushroom caps, placing a generous tablespoon in each one. Bake 15 – 18 minutes, until mushrooms are tender but hold their shape. If desired, place under a preheated broiler for a moment to brown the tops lightly. Serve warm or at room temperature.