Nutmeg Cookies with Buttered Rum Frosting
- Yield 3 dozens
These cookies will make a special addition to your next holiday party.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg, vanilla and rum extract. Add dry ingredients and mix.
- Chill slightly, if needed, for easier handling.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut with a cookie cutter into 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Cream butter with vanilla and rum extract. Gradually beat in powdered sugar, alternating with milk until creamy and desired consistency.
- Frost cookies. Sprinkle with nutmeg while frosting is soft.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Junior League of Portland, Oregon, From Portland’s Palate a Collection of Recipes from the City of Roses (The Junior League of Portland, Oregon, 1992).