- Yield: 3 dozen
- 3/4cup (1 1/2 sticks) margarine, softened
- 1cup sugar
- 1-- egg
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2teaspoons nutmeg
- 2cups flour
- 1/2teaspoon baking powder
- Cream the margarine and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, salt, vanilla and nutmeg. Add the flour and baking soda and mix well.
- Drop onto greased cookie sheets and press with a wet fork to flatten. Bake at 350F for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes and remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The Bermuda Junior Service League’s Island Thyme (Hamilton HM FX, Bermuda, 2005).