- Yield 4 servings
A less-sloppy variation on a cafeteria classic for kids.
- 1 pound ground beef (10 to 20% fat)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- Place beef in a large sauté pan and cook over medium heat, breaking up beef and stirring frequently, until it begins to release some of its fat and juices.
- Add onion and stir to mix well. Cook over medium heat until onion begins to soften, about 10 minutes.
- Add oregano, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and tomato paste. Stir to combine and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add tomato sauce and salt. Stir to combine.
- Turn heat to low. Cover pan and simmer 15 minutes. Toast hamburger buns. Scoop beef mixture onto buns and serve.
Posted with permission from Barton Seaver’s National Geographic Kids Cookbook (National Geographic Kids, 2014).