North African Braised Chicken
- Yield 4 servings
- Prep 15 mins
- Cook 90 mins
Warm spices like cardamon, curry powder and ginger season this hearty chicken meal.
Serve over hot cooked couscous.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Heat oil in a large deep skillet or pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Season chicken with salt and add to skillet; cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add onion to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes to soften.
- Stir in raisins and seasonings. Return chicken to skillet and arrange onions on top. Add stock and wine; cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer for 15 minutes more.
Recipe courtesy of the California Raisin Marketing Board