No-Roll Sugar Cookies
- Yield: 4 1/2 dozens
"Grandma Abbott always had her wafer-thin sugar cookies waiting for us in the brightly colored old tin sitting in the back pantry on the farm. She raised eight children, babysat nine grandchildren and fed many a laborer in her big farm kitchen. The tin was never empty."
- 1 1/2cups confectioners' sugar
- 6tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 3 1/4cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cream together sugars and butter with a mixer at medium speed. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and vanilla; mix well.
- Roll dough into walnut-size balls. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Flatten with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in sugar. Bake about 10 minutes, until light golden.
Recipe by Mary Newton, Winterset, Iowa